[Proposal: MB36/MR32] Moonbeam Multisig Support Service for Moonbeam, Moonriver and Moonbase for 2nd Semester/2024

Title - [Proposal:] [Status: Submitted] Moonbeam Multisig Support as a Service: Moonbeam, Moonriver, and Moonbase for 2nd Semester/2024.

Moonbeam Multisig Official Link: https://multisig.moonbeam.network
Staging Environment Link: https://staging.multisig.moonbeam.network

Abstract

This proposal aims to secure funding to continue supporting the Moonbeam Multisig project, which is a fork of Safe that maintains the same UX/UI while incorporating integrations specific to the Moonbeam ecosystem.

Our service support proposal focuses on ensuring continuous operation, addressing any situation requiring personalized attention, such as incidents, bugs, research, dApp support, and community engagement. Additionally, we will continue working on new integrations.

We also commit to being ready for the rollout of new versions of Safe’s Smart Contracts (v1.4.0 and beyond), followed by ongoing support and the integration of new technologies.

All tokens received through this grant will be exclusively dedicated to covering infrastructure costs (Amazon AWS), proportional costs for subscriptions used by the solution (Coingecko, Sentry, and any other necessary services), compensating Protofire, and distributing tokens among developers involved in this support service (base compensation + performance-based bonuses).

Motivation

Moonbeam Multisig is a fork of Safe, which is well known as the most trusted platform to store digital assets on EVM due to its programmability. We consider this project a successful case where community users, DAOs and DeFi projects trust and use it to safely store assets and interact with Smart Contracts which directly supports TVL growth and would keep benefiting the Moonbeam community.

Project Overview and Team Experience

As the upstream Safe codebase is being constantly updated and changed by the Safe team, new releases need to be merged making sure it is updated and compatible with the Moonbeam Multisig instance.

Regular Safe updates will be performed and released on Moonbeam networks (Moonbeam, Moonriver and Moonbase). Updates consider Frontend (mainly user experience improvements), Backend services and Smart Contract.

Optimization also includes research and implementation of such features as Safe dApps, Modules, Guards, External Wallets Connectors, and customizations according to community needs.

Our team is a combination of management and development skills:

• Strategic Leader: Ivan.

• Project Manager: Eduardo.

• Software Architect: Nick.

• Blockchain Engineers: Marta, Nikita, Den, and Leoni.

• DevOps Engineers: Leonid, and Ilya.

• QA Engineer: Anton.

Protofire DAO team:

• Worked as part of the Gnosis team on delivery of web and desktop versions of Gnosis Safe.

• Delivered Gnosis Safe Apps (such as Compound, Synthetix Mintr Safe App, designed ENS Manager).

• Created a devkit to improve the synchronization of the code in the Gnosis DApps.

• Is a Gnosis Chain and Gnosis Beacon Chain validator.

• Have been deploying and maintaining Safe instances over 30 chains such as: Evmos, Astar, Scroll, Mantle, Linea, Cronos, Holesky, Neon EVM, Rootstock to name a few.

• Is an active member of the Safe community (Safe Guardians); we use our power to contribute positively to the ecosystem, aligning with Safe vision to drive the adoption of smart contract wallets.

Rationale

Moonbeam Multisig adds value to the ecosystem in the following ways:

• Gives the community a trusted custody option for asset management. Safe smart contracts have passed the highest possible security standards in the industry including Formal Verification. Check it out.

• Allows Protocols to deploy and interact with smart contracts in a secure manner which attracts top protocols, increases adoption and TVL.

• Moonbeam Multisig attracts high-net-worth individuals, companies, holders, funds, developers, DAOs, and investors due to its reputation and programmability.

• By allowing multiple signers to approve transactions, Moonbeam Multisig fosters decentralized decision-making, which aligns with the core principles of blockchain technology. This enables organizations and DAOs to manage funds and execute decisions in a more democratic and transparent manner.

• Moonbeam Multisig is highly customizable, allowing users to set different rules and thresholds for transactions. This flexibility supports a wide range of use cases, from personal wallets to complex organizational structures, thereby adding versatility to blockchain operations.

Key Terms

1. Multisig (Multisignature): A key feature of the Safe Wallet, requiring multiple private keys (signers) to authorize a transaction, enhancing security and reducing the risk of unauthorized access.
  2. Safe Modules/Guards: Extensions that add custom functionalities to the Safe Wallet or restrict its basic functionality, allowing users to tailor the wallet to their specific needs, such as adding new approval mechanisms or integrating with other services.
  3. Threshold: The minimum number of approvals required to execute a transaction from the Safe Wallet. This threshold can be adjusted based on the security needs of the users.

Overall Cost

We are transitioning our support model from a Time & Materials (T&M) approach to a more flexible support-as-a-service model. With the team expansion and our new service model, which allows us to operate based on priorities regardless of approved budget, we have managed to reduce monthly costs by approximately 40% compared to the previous grant (1st semester 2024).

We are requesting funds to cover the current semester, the second half of 2024, from July (last months: we have temporarily assigned the balance as an expense) through December.

Requested Funds: $27,000 (equivalent in GLMR and MOVR tokens considering conversion rate*).

*conversion rate will be set as the 30-day twap (time-weighted average price).

Use of Treasury Funds

Treasury Funds with potentially 25% allocated exclusively to infrastructure costs, and 75% covering the team, support areas (legal, finance, HR), and bonuses for members who achieve outstanding performance/feedback in the Moonbeam Multisig context.

Title Costs
Infra Costs $1000.00
Safe Support as a Service $3,500.00
Total $4,500.00

Expected Infra Costs Distribution:

AWS Service Purpose Infra Costs, %
ECS Safe microservices 63%
CloudWatch Logs, metrics and alarms 12%
RDS Safe database 10%

|Other (ELB, WAF, ElastiCache, Route53, S3, CodePipeline, ECR, Lambda)|Load balancing, security, cache, dns, static files, deployment pipelines, docker images repository, monitoring functions)|15%|

% infra-costs

Safe as a Service includes:

• Safe Updates: Regular Safe updates will be performed and released on the supported networks (Moonbeam, Moonriver, and Moonbase). Updates consider Frontend (mainly user experience improvements), Backend services and Smart Contract.

• Safe Features: Research and implementation of features like Safe dApps, Safe Modules, Safe Guards, External Wallets Connectors, client customization, etc.

• Infrastructure Support & Monitoring: DevOps support and monitoring, covering all aspects of infrastructure security, architecture optimization, monitoring and CI/CD pipeline enhancement in order to improve cost-effectiveness and scalability.

• General Support: General support is provided to Moonbeam community, business, and technical teams considering incidents analysis and troubleshooting, research, and general inquiries.

Specifications

Safe Global Licenses describe all the third-party software that may compose (in small portions) our Moonbeam Multisig solution:

Safe{Wallet} – Licenses (only Web section is applicable).

Steps to Implement

Moonbeam Multisig is currently in the support phase; funds will be allocated to cover it

On-chain Application Details

Total cost: 27,000 USD (equals a monthly cost of $4,500) equivalent to 60/40 respectively in GLMR and MOVR.

Token Amount call hash
GLMR 97591 0x04511f5cbdb02a3aeaf001cc3c519ae2f93de0e984fb48f1de0dacb6bfc6e413
MOVR 1152 0xa79a6fd05669f8781142797ae95eaa5c5a753ba91a58f0243dfd95fd3e83a4d6
Token Proposal ID Link
GLMR 36 Treasury Proposal #36
MOVR 32 Treasury Proposal #32

Base spreadsheet for calculating 30-day TWAP and respective proposal values:

2024-Semester-2 Moonbeam Multisig Support Treasury Proposal

3 Likes

Just for reference:

Performed Tasks in the previous months [LINK]

3 Likes

Good evening @esantos089 !!!

Thanks a lot for this detailed Proposal about Multisig Support, giving continuity to this high quality Service for Moonbeam Moonriver and Moonbase.

This message serves as your first support signal, with two additional signals to follow soon. Once the 3rd will come we will also provide the 30-day moving average price information to assist you in preparing your on-chain proposals.

Thanks again!

BR

Michele

1 Like

Also signaling my support for this proposal.

1 Like

Hi @esantos089 ,
I really appreciated the Performed Tasks document - very helpful!
And I’d like to signal my support of your proposal which makes it 3 out of 3.

1 Like

Dear @esantos089 please find here below the 30dma info:

GLMR price: 0.166 USD
MOVR price: 9.38 USD

Please create accordingly your On-chain proposals.

Deadline for such creation: Tuesday 24th

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

BR

Michele

Hi team!
When I try to create the Treasury Proposal, I’m receiving an error.

I even created the discussion post and added the link in the create treasury proposal form, but I’m still encountering the error.

For more details, when I click the Next, the following appears in the UI:

Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information).

Looking in the console, I see:

Sentry dropped data due to a quota or internal rate limit being reached. This will not affect your application. See Billing Quota Management for more information.

The post I created:

I tried in my Macbook and also in a Windows laptop, both on Chrome.
Any ideas on how to avoid this error?

cc: @micheleicebergnodes , @lina.k.m , @aaron.mbf

1 Like

hey, have you tried clearing the cache or using another browser?

@jas_jaski could you please take a look?

1 Like

I have pinged the polkassembly team for help but you might want to try logging out and back in.

Hi team,

I was able to move to the next step when I re-enter the information to create a Post (if I try to use the link of the already existing post, I can’t proceed).

Now, in the ´´´´´[Create Preimage] step, it seems I need to Select Track, but the list doesn’t load any data. What exactly is this “Track”? I didn’t encounter this step in previous applications.

Thanks!

Any ideas?

try submitting it at > Polkadot/Substrate Portal

here’s a guide > How to Propose a Treasury Spend | Moonbeam Docs

1 Like

Hey @turrizt , thank you so much!

By Polkador/Substrate Portal I was able to proceed. :raised_hands:

Token Amount call hash
GLMR 97591 0x04511f5cbdb02a3aeaf001cc3c519ae2f93de0e984fb48f1de0dacb6bfc6e413
MOVR 1152 0xa79a6fd05669f8781142797ae95eaa5c5a753ba91a58f0243dfd95fd3e83a4d6
Token Proposal ID Link
GLMR 36 Treasury Proposal #36
MOVR 32 Treasury Proposal #32

Thanks team for helping here!
cc: @aaron.mbf

2 Likes

Treasury Council voting operations completed: proposal approved Onchain!!!

1 Like