[Proposal: MB22/MR18] UnitedBlock - Treasury Proposal for Q1 2024

Abstract - UnitedBloc is a group of community collators who have been actively involved with Moonbeam since the early testnet phase. In early 2023, we introduced our public RPC service for Moonbeam, Moonriver, and Moonbase Alpha. This initiative rapidly gained traction within the user and developer community, with the RPC serving over 5 billion requests in 2H2023 across all three chains. 4Q2023 saw a drop in requests from 3Q2023, but we saw a trend reversal in December, and currently as of January 10th holding at over 1Bln requests in the trailing 30 days.

On October 3rd UnitedBloc was selected by the Moonbeam Treasury Council as one of the supported RPC providers for Q4 2023 and Q1 2024.

Motivation - Our first objective is to foster Moonbeam’s growth, it’s crucial for developers to have seamless access to top-tier RPC services. Our free public RPC service serves as a stepping stone, supporting new developers as they launch and expand their projects. No signup. No accounts or accounting, just point the app to a UB endpoint and go. If at any point the project RPC requirements exceed our capacity, we’ll guide them toward commercial service providers. Our second objective is to facilitate the RPC needs of non-profit endeavors. If community focused non-profits ever need more RPC than our public service provides, we will work with them to meet the need.

Project Overview and Team Experience - UnitedBloc members excel in Linux administration, allowing us to deploy robust servers. Each member organization takes responsibility for deploying and maintaining their individual RPC servers. This approach leverages our collective expertise for a decentralized network architecture.

Overall Cost - This proposal encompasses combined operational costs for Moonbeam, Moonriver, and Moonbase Alpha for Q1 2024. The total requested amount is $5,400 (50% of Q3/Q4), and we request 7,805.35 GLMR($3,240 USD) and 109.40 MOVR ($2,160 USD) in a 60/40 split using a TWAP 30 day from Jan 11th (Coinmarketcap data). UnitedBloc has elected to offer a one-time reduction in the Q1 proposal of 50% due to the recent market increase and efficient UB treasury management.

Metrics

Month Combined WS + HTTP RPC Calls

October ~692,000,000

November ~545,000,000

December ~982,000,000

Quarterly Total 2,219,000,000

Use of Treasury Funds - As community collators reliant on community delegations, we have launched the RPC service to give back, operating with a non-profit focus. This grant covers our infrastructure costs for the RPC service across Moonbeam, Moonriver, and Moonbase Alpha, including the provision of boot nodes for all three networks. It excludes any margin or profit for UnitedBloc.

Specifications - The UnitedBloc RPC service encompasses four regions: North and South America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. In December the service responded to nearly 1 billion calls across all three networks. We employ global DNS load balancing to efficiently route users to UnitedBloc servers in their respective regions. Within each region, OpenResty enhances RPC requests with additional load balancing and optimization. When demand surges, we promptly adjust by adding more servers or specific services. Our design is thus scalable, flexible, and cost effective.

We provide our endpoints at the following addresses:

https://moonbase.unitedbloc.com

wss://moonbase.unitedbloc.com

https://moonriver.unitedbloc.com

wss://moonriver.unitedbloc.com

https://moonbeam.unitedbloc.com

wss://moonbeam.unitedbloc.com

Steps to Implement - Our public RPC service has been fully operational, serving the community since early 2023.

UnitedBloc Linktree: unitedbloc | Twitter | Linktree

11 Likes

I have a lot of respect for members of the UnitedBloc. It is great to see them being transparent also on the cost side with the one-time 50% reduction.

Keep doing a great job! :raised_hands:

9 Likes

So amazing to see the commitment to the ecosystem and community and reducing the requested fund amount!

As a treasury council member, I am signaling my support for this proposal (1 of 3).

3 Likes

Dear @blackk_magiik & UB,

on behalf of the @TreasuryCouncil (and likely all of Moonbeam eco): Thank you so much!!
Your proposal is literally heartwarming to read and be sure the Council is very grateful for it!

As a treasury council member I hereby without the shadow of a doubt smash my signal of supportive vote button for your proposal (now 2 of 3).

From today’s TC meeting earlier today, we would like to kindly ask RPC service providers to please include the eth_getLogs RPC Method when outlining the services to be provided in their formal proposal. I hope that’s all alright and no biggie.
However, generally speaking, if anything ever comes up please feel free to reach out anytime!
I’m happy to let you know that I’m your assigned Treasury Council member here.

3 Likes

Hi @blackk_magiik and UnitedBlock team,
Thank you for putting together this proposal!
I’d like to signal my support, which will contribute to the three out of three votes needed for it to advance to the next stage.

On another note, thank you for your continued dedication to Moonbeam and the ecosystem we are building together! The cost reduction you are offering for Q1 is a testament to your commitment and support of the network!

4 Likes

Hey @blackk_magiik - with 3 vote signals you can go ahead and put the two proposals (movr/glmr) on-chain :pray:

3 Likes

Thank you everyone, we (UnitedBloc) greatly appreciate your continued support and approval!

@_yrn noted! We’ve supported eth_getLogs since the start of our RPC endeavor and have continued to do so…not a problem at all!

4 Likes

Hi everyone

treasury proposals have been submitted

Moonbeam

Moonriver

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.