Enhancing Efficiency Community Grant Committee

1. Limit Mandate Duration: Consider setting a time limit for council members’ mandates. The longer the mandate, the greater the risk of developing relationships that could influence their judgment.

2. Application Limits: Implement a restriction on how many times an individual or organization can apply, such as allowing two consecutive applications with rotation.

3. Budget Review: Regularly assess the budget for the Community Grant Council. Are there areas where we can reduce costs or reallocate funds more efficiently?

4. Community Involvement: Engage the community in decision-making. Seek their input on grant priorities and spending.

What do you all think of these proposed solutions to enhance the efficiency of our Community Grant Committee?

I said in the unofficial TG group that I had thoughts on these questions, that they are constructive, and I would reply in a day, and so I want to keep my word and do what I said I would do. I also think because I am a candidate for the next grants committee, it’s worthwhile sharing my thoughts on this before the voting period ends.

Regarding 1: 1. Limit Mandate Duration: Consider setting a time limit for council members’ mandates. The longer the mandate, the greater the risk of developing relationships that could influence their judgment.

This is basically a term limit. There are tons of online resources of the positives and negatives of term limits, so it’s pointless to repeat any of that. My view is that term limits will not benefit the grants committee.

“the greater the risk of developing relationships that could influence their judgment.” There is no evidence that this is a risk. Think of it in a different context – “there is a risk that the longer a judge serves on the bench, that they will develop relationships that could influence there judgement.” No one would ever trust judges again.

There are a lot of other examples that can be used. If there is objectivity, and transparency, and open elections, I don’t see a natural correlation of time on the committee to risk of losing objectivity.

Regarding 2: Application Limits: Implement a restriction on how many times an individual or organization can apply, such as allowing two consecutive applications with rotation.

It’s not clear if you are referring to ecosystem grants or community grants in this suggestion. In either case, restrictions sound great until they are doing more damage than good. I’m not sure the source of this suggestion, but it seems like there are specific examples of harm that can possibly be explained in greater detail. If so, understanding them would be helpful to judge if this is important or not.

1. Budget Review: Regularly assess the budget for the Community Grant Council. Are there areas where we can reduce costs or reallocate funds more efficiently?

I think this is referring to your post on the unofficial Telegram that $7500 ($2500/m x 3) was too much to be paid to non-foundation community grants committee members. This specifically includes me today (actually previously it was $3500/m), and the new $2500/m would include me if I am elected to the next 6m committee period.

Whether I hold this position or someone else does in the future, my view is that this position must be paid.

Let there be no doubt, the role requires a lot of work (if a committee member is doing their duties which in my experience they have to date). Often the time commitment well exceeds 10hrs / week, but I have never heard anyone complain (except maybe me).

The point is, it is a lot of work, and often exceeds 10 hours a week, and the payment is much less than most people I know would take on an hourly basis. For a biased benchmark 2500 is $57/hr and usually I don’t bill less than $150/hr. It can be seen as too high (or too low as peers tell me) but a statement of fact that people expect to get paid for their work.

We all have 24hrs per day of time, we all have bills, and we all have to figure out where to focus our attention. But we all also are willing to give time to things we believe in whether paid or not.

We can create a race to the bottom, but that also comes with consequences. If this work is not compensated, there is greater risk that the only people that would apply are those that want to gain advantage from the role in some other way. That is not a good alternative.

But maybe you view it differently, and my view isn’t always right. I said previously there are constructive questions and I mean that, so it’s better to discuss.

6 Likes

I realize I never answered 4. 1. Community Involvement: Engage the community in decision-making. Seek their input on grant priorities and spending.

Yes, I absolutely agree that more community engagement would be helpful to guide the committee, but my view is that the committee should remain independent on spending decisions for community grants (has complete discretionary decision on community grants spending).

To be clear, I think an impartial committee without any influence is critical, but should take the views of the community seriously (and do more to gauge those views). There is a lot that can be gained by more community involvement, and if I am on the next committee I will look to reach out to the community on this point.

7 Likes

I want to add a couple of thoughts, but mostly agree with what @Jim_CertHum said.

Regarding 1.:

I am not sure if that has not been the case in the past, but this time the term limits of 6 months are quite clear.

Regarding relationships: there are two types of relationships. The first type is between the Committee members themselves. I would think these are only benefiting everyone involved, the Committee Members and the projects applying. If you are able to develop trust towards a Committee Member and get to know their style of communication and thinking, it usually leads to a way more efficient work process and way less miscommunication.
The second type would be between Committee Members and applying projects. I believe that you will never be able to have a truly objective opinion on anything. That being said I hope the Committee takes conflicts of interests seriously (which I am sure they do). In general I think its great to have well connected people in the Committee though, because only that allows you to have a sufficient overview of the ecosystem.

Regarding 2.:

I think this can get disregarded with such low term times. Since a previous Member has to apply like everyone else and needs to be elected like everybody else, I don’t see a problem. I am also not a fan of change for the sake of change. If somebody has been doing a great job, I wouldn’t want to punish him/her by not allowing multiple terms.

4 Likes

I appreciate the enthusiasm of both, but I still think we should not allow the same people to participate more than twice in a row and explore new individuals. Since I don’t consider this an individual task, and there are also four other people involved, having different perspectives could only help. I see that some individuals are not happy with the amount of money. I think no one is forcing anyone to do this. If anyone feels that the allocated amount is insufficient, they can refuse and allow others to try.

2 Likes

Especially want to put my thoughts out about two points.

1. I oppose a term limit because the Grants Committee had a loooong way to go until establishing processes and procedures, learnt how to best evaluate applications, compare similar proposals to previous ones etc etc. The participation in the committee clearly builds up knowledge over time which makes it much more performant than shuffling every 6 months (see performance report of the committee)
  1. The grants are divided by volume into two categories. Those with community involvement (high amounts) and those without. Given the sheer number of applications makes it necessary to handle the community grants by an elected council in my humble opinion. Everything else would not work out in the long run and overcomplicate stuff (see vote participation in OpenGov for example and multiply it with number of proposals in the community grants section)
5 Likes

First of all,thank you @dev0_sik for all the hard work you do!

I agree with most of your comments on the post. It’s true that knowledge and experience takes time to build ( definitely more than 6 or even 12 months). That said, I don’t think a member should remain on the committed forever ( yes, there is a huge difference between 12 months and forever).

Perhaps the term limit can be much longer, 4 years ?

These are just my thoughts ( which may be wrong).

2 Likes

Absolutely makes sense.
Although I’d tip my hat for everyone who’d go through this 4 years straight :smiley:
Not sure if we’d see this come naturally ahhahaha

2 Likes

Agreed! 4 years in crypto is a lifetime.

As long as the term limits are long ( years), then it should be ok.

2 Likes

yup, agreed with the comments above. I believe it’s great when grant committees develop relationships and become like BD’s, seeking new knowledge and different useful kinds of stuff that will be beneficial for the further development of Moonbeam. they build their strategy on how it works with projects, and if grant committee members really make their work incredibly effective, I don’t see any point in changing them. however, they still have to go through the voting process after 6 months, which doesn’t guarantee that they will be able to continue as further committee members. also, as practice shows, the more restrictions you set, the more problems will arise later. so, as I said, if the committee members are great and the community wants to vote for them, I don’t see the point in setting these limits

when the composition of the committee changes, new members will need to adapt to the specific nuances of the work, among other tasks. As a Rule, full adaptation can take a couple of months. If we were to have new committee members every six months, a significant portion of time would be spent simply on helping new members adopt a new direction, rather than on productive, full-fledged work

regarding the revision of the budget, it seems to be taken into account by the Foundation since previously the work of grant committee members was compensated at $3,500 / month. that is, it can be seen that this is taken into account

I completely agree with sik, when distributing ecosystem grants that exceed $250k, the community decides by voting. If community grants are also outsourced to the community, then the grant distribution process will probably take years because, based on the recently published Grants Committee Update #1 report, it can be seen that:

The MGP has received 298 applications and awarded 42 teams since its creation on Sep 13, 2022. This represents an approval rate of 12.2%. On average, the committee receives 8.4 applications per week.

It seems to me that involving the community in the decision-making process for such a large number of grant proposal streams is impossible and simply does not make sense. given that the grants committee members are chosen by the community, we can directly say that the community has fully entrusted the committee with making these decisions

6 Likes

Agreed. It would become unsustainable and clog the system.

4 Likes